Registan sq. Samarkand Uzbekistan 2

Full story:
The Registan was the heart of the ancient city of Samarkand, now in Uzbekistan. The name Registan (ریگستان) means "Snowy place" in Persian.
The Registan was a place of public executions, where also people gathered to hear royal proclamations, heralded by blasts on enormous copper pipes called dzharchis.
The three madrasahs of the Registan are: the Ulugh Beg Madrasah (1417—1420), the Tilya-Kori Madrasah (1646—1660) and the Sher-Dor Madrasah (1619—1636).
Samarkand (Uzbek: Samarqand; Tajik: Самарқанд; Persian: سمرقند; from Sogdian: "Stone Fort" or "Rock Town") is the second-largest city in Uzbekistan and the capital of Samarqand Province. The city is most noted for its central position on the Silk Road between China and the West, and for being an Islamic centre for scholarly study. In the 14th century it became the capital of the empire of Timur (Tamerlane) and is the site of his mausoleum (the Gur-e Amir). The Bibi-Khanym Mosque remains one of the city's most notable landmarks. The Registan was the ancient center of the city.
In 2001, UNESCO added the city to its World Heritage List as Samarkand — Crossroads of Cultures.

One Reply to “Registan sq. Samarkand Uzbekistan 2”

Добавить комментарий